my mug
Dave Coustan
[email protected]
(570)4TOOFIS
aim: greentwos
I'm Gale Sayers years old.

about | blog | projects
I temporarily endorse Bidnapper.
www.flickr.com
extraface's photos More of extraface's photos

QotD: In-Flight Entertainment

How do you pass the time during a flight?  What do you bring in your carry-on?

I usually carry:

• The most recent The Believer mag
  • A few issues of London Review of Books (this is sometimes the first shot I get at reading them)
  • Nintendo DS Lite
  • iPod
  • Helio Drizzift
  • One novel-sized book, most recently the Nick Tosches bio on Dean Martin
  • Pen and paper
  • Work papers
  • Sand for putting in my eyes after taking a nap

I usually use most of those things at least a little bit. The iPod runs almost continuously, unless I actually want to speak to the person sitting next to me.

Read and post comments |
Send to a friend

Recently published on Extraface:

9 Comments
  1. Have you been tested for ADD?

DoctorZon
    January 22, 2007 at 11:37 am (#)
  2. I never know what I'll feel like doing, so I like to plan for several moods.

Dave
    January 22, 2007 at 12:02 pm (#)
  3. Yes, but you then say that you usually use most.

DoctorZon
    January 22, 2007 at 2:42 pm (#)
  4. bah, he's just a brilliant multi-tasker, much like myself. I can knit, type, answer the phone, carry on a conversation, fill out blood test requisitions, enter x-rays into the computer and print labels ALL at the same time. That's why I'm super clerk (really I'm manic…).

apparently
    January 22, 2007 at 2:51 pm (#)
  5. Most of my flights during the year are ATL-LA, and those tend to drag on and on. I bet the lack of internets for that long gives me withdrawal symptoms that I have to soothe with these various activities.

Dave
    January 22, 2007 at 5:06 pm (#)
  6. Hey pallie Dave, glad to see you readin' the Dinomasterpiece by Tosches. Did ya know that it was recently named the best rock and roll bio of all time by Blender mag? Oh, to return to the days when Dino walked the earth!!!!!

dino martin peters
    January 22, 2007 at 6:43 pm (#)
  7. I'm still working my way through the Tosches book. Slowly. And who wants to talk to the person next to you on a flight, anyway?

Craxy
    January 22, 2007 at 9:45 pm (#)
  8. there's some crazy statistic about the number of american's who expect to find love in the next airliner seat. strikes me as absolutely bonkers, since air travel has to be about the least romantic, most tedious and mundane activity I can imagine. oh for travel of yore. give me a steamer and a big hat any day.

navelgazer
    January 23, 2007 at 7:57 am (#)
  9. I can't believe I put in that random apostrophe and can't now edit it. I must go hide in shame.

navelgazer
    January 23, 2007 at 7:57 am (#)